May 7, 2013

Trivia Blog: Zero Dork Thirty

These Trivia Blog posts come from the emails I send out as Quizmaster of the Gael Pub Trivia Night every Tuesday.  But seeing as how they comprise most of the writing I seem to do these days, I thought it fitting to include them on the Pale Writer blog as well.  I won't include things like info about categories or drink specials, but will keep the bulk of the rest.  Hopefully you enjoy, so much so that you come out some Tuesday at 8:30 (3rd Ave. b/t 82nd and 83rd)...

At least I got to live long enough to see KFC use fried chicken as sandwich buns…

So I just turned 30 yesterday, triviagoers. My youth, much like the box office power and sexual appeal of Lindsay Lohan, is now but a relic of the past. I had a hell of a run in my 20s, and I’ll miss the carefree days of warmed-over pizza at 3AM and feeling like it’s still okay for me to watch MTV without shame.

But it’s not so bad. 30 comes on like the public acceptance of singing and dancing competition shows; gradually, not all at once. Much like my hairline, my 20s may now be receding into memory, but there’s still a lot of good coming. Still, even one day in I’m beginning to understand that certain things have to change. It’s the natural order of life. Some things are just harder to pull off after 30, like:

  • Getting off the couch the day after celebrating your 30th birthday a bit too hard (many thanks to my friends who kept giving me shots of whiskey)
  • Playing a day of softball without feeling like I’ve been beaten up the day after
  • Shopping at a place like Uniqlo without the average clientele looking at me like an Alzheimer’s-riddled elderly man who’s wandered away from the retirement home
  • Pulling off the student movie ticket discount with a long-expired college ID. Fuck you, buddy, I’m not paying full price to see Pain & Gain. Okay, I am…
  • Not looking like a complete dick while dancing in any situation
  • Saying the phrase, “One Doritos Locos Taco, please.”

No comments: