August 21, 2012

Trivia Blog: Gary in Gotham City

These Trivia Blog posts come from the emails I send out as Quizmaster of the Gael Pub Trivia Night every Tuesday.  But seeing as how they comprise most of the writing I seem to do these days, I thought it fitting to include them on the Pale Writer blog as well.  I won't include things like info about categories or drink specials, but will keep the bulk of the rest.  Hopefully you enjoy, so much so that you come out some Tuesday at 8:30 (3rd Ave. b/t 82nd and 83rd)...

“I was wondering what would break first.  Your spirit, or your body.  Or your city’s public works budget.”

After seeing The Dark Knight Rises again, I got to thinking…  Gotham City seems like a terrible place to live.  Every week, there’s some new supervillain hatching a plot to destroy the city or engaging in some sort of mega-sized battle with Batman that leaves the area in ruins.  It’s laughably overcrowded.  There’s a seemingly very-easy-to-break-out-of prison for the dangerously criminally insane literally right in the middle of the town.  A police force that numbers in the tens of thousands is constantly upstaged by and made to look inferior to a guy in a rubber suit.  And the city clearly stole all of its layout and design plans from New York and Chicago.

It makes you wonder, What’s it like to be an average, ordinary citizen of Gotham City?  Luckily for you all, I know the answer: Gary.  Or Gary in Gotham City, to be more specific.  I’ve been lucky enough to find excerpts from the diary of a man forced to share his city with Batman, which will be added a few times a week (to www.garyingothamcity.blogspot.com) for your reading pleasure.  Let Gary show you what it’s like to be one of the fortunate residents of what, if Batman stops ruining it, is the greatest city in the world.  Be sure to check every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday to see if Gary’s updated us all with what’s happening in Gotham.  A preview of some of Gary’s entries:

August 20th – My brother Jerry called from Spokane to tell me that he was having a hard time dealing with his insurance company after a pretty nasty hail storm damaged some of his roof shingles.  I thought about telling him how my entire apartment building was destroyed after the Penguin drove a giant mechanical polar bear through half the city, but I didn’t want to add to his already extensive troubles.
September 13th – Batman transported to another dimension with Superman for the past two weeks.  While he was gone, Mr. Freeze attacked the city, leaving something like 200 people encased inside blocks of ice.  Not sure if they’ll survive or not.  I know that my taxes pay for an entire police force, I’m just not sure what it is that they do.
September 21st – My wife died today after a broken piece of railway support fell and crushed her during a fight between Batman and the Scarecrow.  But, Batman locked him up and learned an important lesson about dealing with his parents’ death in the end, so I guess all’s not lost.
October 1st – ALL HAIL THE MAD HATTER!  ALL HAIL THE MAD HATTER!  ALL HAIL THE MAD HATTER!  ALL HAIL THE MAD HATTER!  ALL HAIL THE MAD HATTER!  ALL HAIL THE MAD HATTER!
October 3rd – Things are slowly getting back to normal after the Mad Hatter used a massive mind-control device to enslave the entire population of Gotham City.
October 25th – Seriously, where are the fucking police that my taxes pay for??!!

No comments: