June 12, 2012

Trivia Blog: The Not-So-Golden Girl

These Trivia Blog posts come from the emails I send out as Quizmaster of the Gael Pub Trivia Night every Tuesday.  But seeing as how they comprise most of the writing I seem to do these days, I thought it fitting to include them on the Pale Writer blog as well.  I won't include things like info about categories or drink specials, but will keep the bulk of the rest.  Hopefully you enjoy, so much so that you come out some Tuesday at 8:30 (3rd Ave. b/t 82nd and 83rd)...

“And the card attached would say, ‘Thank you for being the Presideeeeent.’”…

My dear triviagoers, I’m physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausted from my move back to the Upper East Side this weekend and all of the lifting and cursing and unpacking and Ikea tripping that went along with it.  I was even prepared to forego the writing of this week’s trivia email, until I saw this why-did-this-happen-who-cares-it’s-awesome photo/story about Betty White going to the White House to meet with President Obama.

I have no idea what prompted this visit, but I can only hope that at least some of the following exchanges occurred while she was there:

Barack:  Ms. White, I’m so glad you could come to the White House.  I was a huge fan of The Golden Girls.
Betty:  Ah, that show sucked.  I only did it because I lost a bet with the showrunner at a cockfight in Mexico.
Barack:  Um…

Betty:  Did you ever see Lake Placid?
Barack:  That one you were in with the giant alligator in the lake?  Yeah, that was a great movie!
Betty:  Movie…?

Barack:  It must’ve been something to work with Bea Arthur.
Betty:  Oh, definitely.  Bea was one funny dude.
Barack:  I think you mean “lady.”
Betty:  No I don’t.

Betty:  You know, this isn’t the first time I’ve been to the White House.
Barack:  Oh really?
Betty:  Oh yeah.  FDR used to send a car for me all the time.  He was a BIG fan of me.  And of course he would be, seeing as how his wife looked like a baked cow pie.  Those were nights that will live in infamy, if you catch my drift…
Barack:  I’m not sure that I do.
Betty:  How do you think he wound up in that wheelchair?
Barack:  Um…

No comments: