January 17, 2012

Trivia Blog: The Ewww

These Trivia Blog posts come from the emails I send out as Quizmaster of the Gael Pub Trivia Night every Tuesday.  But seeing as how they comprise most of the writing I seem to do these days, I thought it fitting to include them on the Pale Writer blog as well.  I won't include things like info about categories or drink specials, but will keep the bulk of the rest.  Hopefully you enjoy, so much so that you come out some Tuesday at 8:30 (3rd Ave. b/t 82nd and 83rd)...

Maybe we can change the show's name to The Misguided Snap Judgment...?

Over this past Martin Luther King Day holiday weekend (or as I've been calling it, MLK2K12), I took a flight back to the warm shores of my hometown of Toledo, Ohio, to have a visit with my cousin and he and his wife's adorable newborn baby girl.  It was a very fine trip, and helped to erode away a bit of the shell that I've contstructed between me and my ever-looming march into child-rearing years.

I woke up at my grandparents' home yesterday morning, ready to drive up to Detroit and get back to my wonderful New York City, only to discover that my flight home, apparently in anticipation of bad weather that might (did not) arrive several hours into the future, had been delayed until later that afternoon.  This is not surprising, since I have a long, well-documented history of poor travel experiences.  I tried to let it slide this time, though, and look at the delay as an opportunity to see the baby some more and enjoy some of my grandma's fawning attention and home cooking.  It also gave me the opportunity to do something that was entirely foreign to me: watching the daytime talk show program, The View, along with my grandma.

I'm always intrigued when I get to experience new sources of opinion/news analysis, and I have to say, the ladies of The View opened my eyes to a lot that I had previously been ridiculously misinformed about.  A sampling from Monday's academic, reasoned discussions:
  • Ricky Gervais is a horribly mean man who has no right to pick on underprivileged celebrities who have gathered to pat themselves on the back. But it is perfectly okay to make jokes about his Britishness.
  • It is also fine, apparently, to point out that the skinniness and musculature of Angelina Jolie and Madonna is completely abhorrent. Also, all women should possess what Whoopi refers to as "the jiggly arms," because that's what's normal.
  • Why won't things ever be easy for Jennifer Aniston???!!!
  • Barbara understands what the passengers on the Italian cruise ship that ran aground and led to deaths and psychological damage went through because she was once on a really bad cruise. Maybe it was the Titanic.
  • Kim Kardashian is not, in fact, a fame-mongering, calculating, shallow, odorous crust hanging off of the butthole of America's collective obsession with tabloid culture and reality TV. Rather, she's a misunderstood, well-meaning fashion icon who was horribly abused by a mediocre NBA power forward whose publicist probably thought it would be great for his image and Q rating to attach himself to the Kardashian machine.  Oh.
I had no idea!  Thank you, ladies of The View, for helping me understand.

No comments: