August 2, 2011

Trivia Blog: We're Gonna Need a Bigger Trivia Night

These Trivia Blog posts come from the emails I send out as Quizmaster of the Gael Pub Trivia Night every Tuesday.  But seeing as how they comprise most of the writing I seem to do these days, I thought it fitting to include them on the Pale Writer blog as well.  I won't include things like info about categories or drink specials, but will keep the bulk of the rest.  Hopefully you enjoy, so much so that you come out some Tuesday at 8:30 (3rd Ave. b/t 82nd and 83rd)...

Some people have Lent.  Some have Hanukkah.  Others have Kwanzaa or Toyotathon.  For me, it’s Shark Week.  This, my friends, is my holy week.

Was there a time Before Shark Week (BSW)?  If so, I don’t want to know of it.  All I do know is that in the 24 years After Shark Week (ASW), I have always been able to rely on 7 days of reprieve from the summer heat, during which I’m blessed with hours of glorious underwater footage, bad puns from gravelly voiced narrators, and horrific tales of attacks supplemented by really terribly acted reenactment videos.  Lent may have Cadbury Eggs and Peeps, but Shark Week has Air Jaws.

There is nothing in my life that terrifies and fascinates me to such high degrees, as I’ve documented in the past.  I don’t fear sharks, but god damnit I respect them.  I’ll stick to pools and hot tubs and the occasional slip and slide, and they can have the oceans.  If I ever do enter the ocean again in ASW time, I imagine it will look something like this.

What does this have to do with Trivia?  Nothing.  But it’s still awesome.

...

Finally, lots of people have sent me the link to the story of Alex Trebek allegedly chasing a burglar from his hotel room in his underwear, in an apparent refutation of my usual anti-Trebekian sign-offs in these here emails.  To you, I say, do not be fooled by the pro-Trebek media’s conjured story.  Until I see all the evidence, I still can’t be sure that this “burglar” wasn’t simply returning to her hotel room when suddenly, out of the shadows, leaped a pantsless Canadian game show host, hepped up on goofballs and out for blood.  He’s not to be trusted, not while he gets all his answers from those cards.  But I digress.

Sincerely,

Quizmaster Ryan

No comments: