August 16, 2011

Trivia Blog: Back, to the Couch

These Trivia Blog posts come from the emails I send out as Quizmaster of the Gael Pub Trivia Night every Tuesday.  But seeing as how they comprise most of the writing I seem to do these days, I thought it fitting to include them on the Pale Writer blog as well.  I won't include things like info about categories or drink specials, but will keep the bulk of the rest.  Hopefully you enjoy, so much so that you come out some Tuesday at 8:30 (3rd Ave. b/t 82nd and 83rd)...

The things I do for trivia…

I might have to keep this week’s email brief, or however brief as I’m capable of.  I’m currently couch-ridden, recovering from an all too common bad back.  The words “herniated disc” might sound funny, or like something that hippies do while playing ultimate frisbee, but for me, they’re an all too real source of pain and misery.  So here I am, lying on my couch, surrounded by all manner of technology, laptops and remotes and various snacks, yet unable to really move.  I’m like Denzel Washington in that Bone Collector movie, but, you know, not black.

You discover odd things while stuck watching daytime TV.  For one, if the commercials aimed at them are any indication, old people are nothing but walking, fleshy sacs of illnesses and ailments, all of which can be cured by drugs that have names straight out of science fiction but do terrible, terrible things to your body.  (What in god’s name is “spontaneous rectal discomfort,” and what does it have to do with arthritis medicine??)  Also, apparently Bob Barker has been sent to pasture, because some sort of mutant, half-weight clone of Drew Carey is now hosting The Price Is Right.  For now, my DVR will keep me company, or maybe there’s a Golden Girls marathon on later or something.  Whatever it takes, I will be there tonight to fulfill my hostful duties.

No comments: