November 3, 2008

Christmas In November

Tomorrow will be one of the most significant days in American history.

Don't let anyone fool you into thinking otherwise, and don't let this awful, ignorant cynicism that's gripped and ruined so much of what we used to enjoy and hold up as important in America allow you to think that it really doesn't matter.

Tomorrow matters.

I'm not so pie-eyed that I think Barack Obama will win this election and immediately heal all of our country's wounds. He's going to inherit (and I'll preface all of this with the assumption that he will indeed win, because I'm going to allow myself to be confident for the first time in 8 years) a mess, with the wars and the economy and our standing on the world's stage at large. But I have faith in the man. I have since the first time I became aware of him back in 2004.

I like to think that someone who inspires hope can rally the country around him, despite that ever-present cynicism that makes people scoff at the very idea of hope; those same people, of course, revere figures like Reagan or Kennedy or Lincoln, men who put forth ideas and personas that were probably scoffed at in their own time, but are looked back upon fondly because they dared to represent something greater than low expectations, or the status quo.

To me, Obama represents more than just another possibly great and effective politician. He represents America actually living out ideals that we've used to define ourselves for decades, but haven't really acted upon.

We call ourselves the freest nation on earth, a bastion of diversity and opportunity, yet this is the first time someone other than an old white man has a SERIOUS chance of winning the presidency.

We claim to be cultivators of hope and grand dreams, yet we've allowed ourselves to accept simply the better of two slightly average choices for many an election (not counting Clinton, that guy just ruled), or just blindly and ignorantly stuck with the party or position that our parents chose.

Most importantly, and I don't care how sick people are of this word, the man represents CHANGE.

Over the course of history, great things have not been done by nations who just to simply keep up the same notion of national identity and attempt to sail smoothly without ever dreaming of something bigger or better. The best rise up after taking a look at themselves and realizing that they can do BETTER. I have no doubt that a nation that can elect a man like Barack Obama is signifying that it is ready to do that very thing.

So go out and VOTE. Get everyone you know to vote. Don't let this be yet another disappointment. Put Barack Obama in office.

1 comment:

Granny said...

YEAH, RYAN!!! I COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF. YOU CAN BET THAT I WILL BE AT FASSETT JR. HIGH SCHOOL ALONG WITH GRANDPA, AND WE WILL VOTE OUR CONSCIENCE - WHICH, I MIGHT ADD, ALIGNS ITSELF WITH YOURS! I'VE VOTED IN MANY ELECTIONS, BUT NEVER HAVE I SEEN A MORE URGENT NEED TO GET OUT AND VOTE....WE SIMPLY CANNOT AFFORD NOT TO VOTE ANY LONGER.